Saturday 7 April 2012

Massage Therapy and Insurance


One of the most frequent questions I get asked over the phone is how insurance coverage works with massage therapy.

Over the past decade, insurance companies have really started to recognize the benefits of massage therapy and make a move to providing more preventive care options.  After all, it’s much more cost effective to pay for massage treatment than pay for pain medication, lost time, and even hospitalization. I would be willing to bet that happy and relaxed employees with improved sleep patterns are also more productive employees!

If you work for a company that offers health benefits, chances are you will be covered for the cost (or a portion of the cost) of your massage treatment by a Registered Massage Therapist. The coverage amount will vary depending on what plan your employer has negotiated for you.

Most insurance companies will not allow health care professionals to check this information on your behalf due to privacy concerns. The best way to find out about your coverage is to speak with your employer directly or contact your insurance company with your employee ID or group number handy. Many companies have a website that you can log into to view your coverage details and even submit claims.

Here are some important questions to ask when determining your coverage:
- Do I require a Doctor’s note in order to be reimbursed?
- What is my annual maximum?
- What is my maximum allowance per treatment?
- Is my Massage Therapist able to direct bill, or must I submit receipts myself?
- When will my coverage renew?
- If I reach my maximum am I able to use a health spending account to cover the additional costs?
- Will my therapist need to fill out any additional paperwork?

At this time our clinic is set up to direct bill for most GreenShield, Blue Cross (RCMP, Veterans, General) and Motor Vehicle Accident patients. If we are unable to bill directly for you we will gladly provide you with the necessary documentation to send to your company, or work with your insurance company to arrange direct billing if available.


If you have any additional questions we will be happy to help you out over the phone or at your next appointment!



No comments:

Post a Comment